Thursday, April 9, 2009

An observation on coupons


Coupons are interesting. They offer a supposed "win-win" situation. Coupons drum up revenue for a business by getting consumers in the door where they might not have done so otherwise. At the same time, they give the consumer a discount on a full ticket item, which leads to the illusion of saving money.

The question is, would you have spent that money, or broken your diet to eat that burrito if that coupon didn't exist (It was a Freebirds coupon that started all this anyhow)? If the answer is yes, then the coupon is a deal. If the answer's no, well that's just Bad News Bears for your waistline and your wallet.

I know this is mostly common knowledge to everyone, but this post is just my brain puking up random thoughts (and don't get me wrong, I looooove coupons, and have been especially excited with my Costco coupon mailers as of late).

1 comment:

  1. I just found myself reflecting... I bought eleven items at HEB yesterday. Three of them were couponed. I think I might have still bought them otherwise.

    ReplyDelete